2019 Board Elections
By Collin Fat, Nominating Committee Chair
Elections for the slate of officers who will lead the club in 2019 will open in November following our nomination dinner in October. Current board positions which are opening include; secretary, competition & safety, membership, and social chairs. All members in good standing are eligible and encouraged to run for office. The club is an all-volunteer organization and depends on members to share in the direction and leadership of the club. For over 55 years the club has been extremely successful in finding qualified members to serve on the board and the 2019 election is no less significant. Each board position term is for one year and each board member can serve no more than 2 consecutive terms.
The 2010 nominating committee has been formed and consists of members. The past president is designated as its chairperson. Serving on the committee are Eduardo Ortega, Jr., Gary Griffiths and Lisa Menning. Over the next several months, the committee will be working on finding capable candidates as well as interviewing those who have an interest and have decided to run for office.
I hear many members that I have approached about board service complain about not having the time or being too busy. You need not be retired to serve. Many current board members are still in the workforce and continue to serve the club. The club is one of the most active Porsche Clubs in Zone 7 and it does not happen automatically. It takes a dedicated board as well as nearly a dozen appointed chairs to manage and organize the dozens of events which our members enjoy. From our popular tours and monthly dinner events to those with a need for competition who participate in our autocross program, SVR members enjoy a variety of activities that are unparalleled for most car clubs.
The time commitment for serving on the board varies. Below are brief job descriptions for the offices of secretary, competition, social and membership as described in our club’s bylaws:
SECTION 6 – The Duties of Social Director Shall Be:
- To develop a suitable schedule of social events which will provide a broad range of such events for all members. These
events to include dinner meetings, tours, picnics, and other events deemed to be social in nature.
- To schedule events, said schedule subject to approval of the Board of Directors.
- To work closely with the Vice President and Competition Director to ensure that SVR has a coherent annual program which meets the various needs of its members.
- To negotiate for, and procure, suitable sites for social events.
- To coordinate with other organizations in connection with conducting and participating in social events.
- To issue press releases concerning social events, and to publicize such events within THE DRIFTER.
- To appoint with approval of the Board of Directors such Special Committees as necessary to carry out the above.
SECTION 3 – The Duties of Secretary Shall Be:
- To record and preserve the minutes of the meetings of the Board of Directors, and for other SVR meetings for which minutes are deemed desirable, and to read such minutes at the request of the President or any of the Directors.
- To prepare correspondence at the direction of the President.
- To chair the Public Relations Committee with the objective of maintaining a valued image of SVR within the community and within PCA.
- To accomplish other duties required of the Secretary by these By-Laws, or other applicable laws.
- To chair the By-Laws Committee and to keep and maintain the SVR Statement of Policy.
SECTION 5 – The Duties of Competition Director Shall Be:
- To develop a suitable schedule of competitive events which will provide a broad range of such events for all members. These events to include rallies, autocrosses, concours and other events deemed to be competitive in nature including event related schools.
- To compile, enforce and interpret competition rules under which events are conducted.
- To schedule tech sessions and events, said schedule subject to approval of the Board of Directors.
- To work closely with the Vice President and the Social Director to ensure that SVR has a coherent annual program which meets the various needs of its members.
- To negotiate for and procure suitable sites for competition events.
- To coordinate with other organizations in connection with conducting and participating in competition events.
- To issue press releases concerning competition events, and to publicize such events within THE DRIFTER.
- To procure competition awards.
- To appoint with the approval of the Board of Directors such Special Committees as necessary to carry out the above.
- To act as or appoint the Safety Chairman for the Region.